CHURCHES & NON-PROFITS
For the first time in the history of the United States, we are officially a “post-Christian” nation. A study done by the Barna Group, based on 15 metrics related to faith, revealed that nearly half of the nation’s adult population (44%) now qualifies as post-Christian.1 If that isn’t staggering enough, Barna also discovered something worse, “The pattern is indisputable: The younger the generation, the more post-Christian it is.” 2 Here are some other shocking statistics:
- Nearly 1 in 4 Americans (23%) claim no religious identity (classified as “nones”)
- The “nones” are now the largest religious group in the US
- Of the “nones”, over 1/3 of them (35%) are under the age of 30
- Of the 85% of Americans who were raised Christian, nearly 75% no longer identify with Christianity
- There are more than 4 former Christians for every convert to Christianity.3
But there is hope. While Young Millennials and Generation Z are disconnecting from the church, they are very spiritual.7 So, what can be done to bridge the gap between the church and their spirituality? As Craig Groeschel says, “to reach people no one else is reaching, we must do things no one else is doing.”
Special Events- concerts, community forums, career fair, leadership panels, etc.
Social Events- sponsor fun, social events for connection and building relationships
Mentorship- connecting young adults with older generations for the purpose of discipleship and multigenerational community.
- In light of 1 John 5:14, commit to praying for Mission Wilmington every Thursday at 5:14.
- Add Mission Wilmington to your church’s prayer list.
- You can also join our email prayer list
- If you are a young adult, then join us!
- Volunteer to be a mentor, or promote the mentorship program in your church
- Be intentional about engaging and investing in young adults who come to your church
- Actively engage with Mission Wilmington by becoming one of our Partner Churches. If you are interested in being a Partner Church, then please send us a message through the contact form below.
The only way any of this will be possible is through generous financial donations. We would be honored for you to become one of our reoccurring monthly financial partners, or you can give a one-time gift. Here are several ways that you can give:
If you have extra equipment or space, then we could also use the following:
- Audio equipment (speakers, vocal mics, instrument mics, wireless mics, cables, sound board, etc.)
- Video equipment (cameras, tripods, projectors, etc.)
- Lighting equipment (LED lights, light board, cables, etc.)
- Office or staff meeting place
- “2015 Sees Sharp Rise in Post-Christian Population,” Barna Group, August, 12, 2015, https://www.barna.com/research/2015-sees-sharp-rise-in-post-christian-population/.
- “Five Trends among the Unchurched,” Barna Group, October 9, 2014, https://www.barna.com/research/five-trends-among-the-unchurched/.
- James E. White, Meet Generation Z: Understand and Reaching the New Post-Christian World, Baker Books: Baker Publishing Group, 22-24.
- “Religious Landscape Study: Adults in North Carolina,”
- http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/state/north-carolina/https://www.areavibes.com/wilmington-nc/demographics/, derived from the 2016 United States Census Bureau American Community Survey (ACS).
- “Religious Landscape Study: Age distribution,” http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/age-distribution/
- “Millennials are less religious than older Americans, but just as spiritual,” November 23, 2015, http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/23/millennials-are-less-religious-than-older-americans-but-just-as-spiritual/.